Thursday, October 11, 2012

Way Better Than You Think

I used to think all the time about leaving Syracuse. Then I left it, briefly, for an even smaller NY town, which shall, for the moment, go unnamed. I found I really missed Syracuse. Okay, I did not miss the weather. But the rest of it, yes. For example, I missed the huge variety of restaurants, even though I rarely go to restaurants. I guess I just like having a lot of possibilities, in case I ever do decide to go out. I really missed the sky. Yes, that's right, the sky. We can actually see it here; it isn't obstructed by huge hills, really really close, almost in your face. Hills so high that roads just dead end when they get to the seam where the road runs into the vertical.
See what I mean? There you are, in the parking lot, and when you look up, all you get are trees. On a hill. With nothing else. Trust me, you end up feeling not just hemmed in, but a little claustrophobic. And remember, next to, behind, and in front of that hill, there are others. Lots of others.

No comments: